Subheader

Useful. Helpful. Free!

Saturday, October 30, 2010

It's a Wonderful World, Part 1

(By Louis Armstrong.)




I see trees of green, red roses too.
I see them bloom for me and you,
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

---

Before I continue, I want you to take a moment to form a mental impression of these lyrics.

What do they mean to you?

I'll go over them one more time before continuing.

---

I see trees of green, red roses too.
I see them bloom for me and you,
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

---

Is the first sentence saying that roses are green as well as red?

No. The comma is very important.

I see trees of green, comma. Red roses too, period.

The trees of green and the red roses are separate, but they have been associated with each other by appearing in a single sentence.

There are trees of green. There are red roses, also.

These should be a single unit in our minds.

We do not know if these trees of green are trees that have flowers that bloom, but that is not important. The green of the trees and the red roses forms a continuing thought, where one thought leads into another without any real separation.

Green trees. Red roses. They bloom for me and for you.

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

The meaning should be very clear now. How does this compare to your mental image from when we started?

1 comment:

  1. thanks a lot...
    looking forward to your new posts...
    best regards...

    ReplyDelete